Sunday, June 15, 2008

BBQ & One-Armed Pushups

So... awhile ago my dad asked me if I was interested in joining him for a little obstacle course race that his church was putting on in June. He sounded pretty excited about it, and thinking to myself ("yeah, i'll totally get in shape by june...") I said, sure, why not? Damien couldn't do it b/c he has work on the weekends, but my best friend Ky stepped up- what a trooper!

Well, as we get closer (the race is next week) and I've learned more about it (this is kind of a hard-core boot-camp-style race), I'm pretty darn nervous about it. I never got in good shape like I planned, and I'm pretty sure that of the 5-member team, I am the-weakest-link... not a fun position to be in! My dad knows I'm freaking out a bit, so he and Debra hosted a little BBQ out at their place last night and during it we got in a little team practice to prep for next week.

Yes, we practiced running around carrying a pole together, swinging an ax to cut through a log, and running while carrying a bag of mulch (a substitute for the sand next week). I was dreading the ax thing and that wasn't so bad, though I realized I'll certainly need to bring gloves and I hope the logs are pretty thin or I'm gonna be there a good while. However the running as a team carrying a pole thing- was not too good for me- I'm a slow and steady runner- but those guys move faster! Yikes!!

There will also likely be stops where we have to drop and do some push ups and sit ups- I CANNOT do a military-style push up. I encouraged them to see if we could to modified "girl" push ups, and then my 8-year-old sister pipes in...

"I can do a push up!"

"Oh really? Show me."

And she drops down, throws one arm behind her back like Demi Moore in G.I. Jane and does a one-armed pushup! WHAT the...?!?! I tell you, this kid is bad-ass! I wish I caught it on tape! She would probably do better in this race than me! Oh well, like Ky says, it'll make a great story afterwards! haha


And now pictures...

Kathryn loved floating in the inner tube in the pool at Dad's

But when the splashing started, Kate got outta there!

Splish-Splashin'

They got in some good belly flops from the top of that ladder :)

As we got ready to go, Mady attached herself to Damien...

...and refused to show me her face for a picture!
look at that smile...the tooth fairy sure has been visiting!

Buddies - Chris & Dad

1 comment:

McMommy said...

You are one BRAVE soul for participating in that obstacle course!!! We'll be rooting for you!! Let us know how it goes.